Expanding Internships at Otterbein
The Center for Career and Professional Development is actively working to create more internships and professional experiences for Otterbein students. These experiences help students put theory into practice as they test out career fields of interest.
While Otterbein students intern in a variety of fields including business, communication, nonprofit, the arts and sciences, education, technology, health care and government, new and exciting opportunities for our students to learn and grow professionall are always appreciated. Due to their diverse interests and abilities, our interns can assist with tasks and projects including marketing, logistics, research, event planning, web development and much more.
For the student, internships provide the opportunity to:
- Apply classroom knowledge in the workplace
- Explore career fields and gain firsthand experience
- Develop professional skills and enhance resume
- Build a network of professional contacts
- Observe professionals and workplace culture
For the employer/organization, internships offer:
- Creativity and innovation; students bring new ideas and fresh perspectives
- Increased productivity and the opportunity for staff to focus on higher-level tasks
- Opportunities to “test out” future employees and cultivate a talent pipeline
- Opportunities to build supervision and leadership skills among managers
A few of our current internship sites
American Red Cross • AT&T • Columbus Blue Jackets • Columbus Zoo • Lane Bryant • McGraw-Hill Companies • Morgan Stanley • Nationwide Children’s Hospital • Nationwide Insurance • NBC-4 • Ohio Health • Professional Insurance Agents Association of Ohio • State Farm • The Walt Disney Company • The Women’s Fund of Central Ohio • Westerville Area Chamber of Commerce • Worthington Industries
Last year, more than 230 students completed internships. These internships can be part time, full time, paid or unpaid; there is a great deal of flexibility.
Stephen Brown ’87, president of Payne and Brown Insurance Agency, said, “We are extremely satisfied with the quality of interns and full-time employees we have selected from Otterbein University the last five years. The students are knowledgeable and well-rounded due to their exposure in a liberal arts environment.”
Providing an internship is a great way to give back to Otterbein and support the learning and development of current students. To share an internship opportunity or learn more about hosting an Otterbein intern, please contact Ashley Strausser at 614-823-1522 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.